Sunday, December 6, 2009

BUYER BEWARE.. PLANET ENERGY SCAM

An "independent" Planet Energy representative lied and deceived me into signing a contract. I complained. Planet Energy said "action" will be taken against the agent, but I cannot get out of the contract. BUYER BEWARE: Planet Energy doesn't protect their customers, and their agents will go out of their way to get you to sign on.


In October, a representative from Planet Energy came to my door to convince me to sign up with their services. I live in a student complex with 6 units. The representative was very friendly and began explaining the benefits of signing up with Planet Energy. Basically, that it was a green energy program that was subsidized by the government. I asked if the program was mandatory, and he replied that it was in fact a "mandatory government initiative" and that my whole building had signed up with them. I signed the contract and he informed me that I would receive a reaffirmation call from Planet Energy to confirm my details. Probably within a week, I did receive a call from Planet Energy. They asked me a series of questions about whether I received a copy of the agreement, etc, and I confirmed all of them. I did not realize what I was getting myself into until a few weeks later.

In mid November, another representative from Just Energy came to my door. He said he wanted to make sure we were getting the best rate possible. When I told him we had signed up with Planet Energy, he said "Oh No" and proceeded to explain how Planet Energy was going out of business and how we had actually signed up to actually pay MORE than what we were previously paying. I asked two of my roommates to listen in on our conversation to make sure I would not be fooled into signing a "scam" again. The Just Energy representative continued to explain their "market price" plan which would bring us savings. He said that since the Planet Energy representative had deceived us into believing their plan was a "mandatory government iniative", we would be able to get out of it. He nearly convinced us to sign a contract with him, but my fourth roommmate came home in time. He had heard of these energy supplier scams, and took one of us aside and told us not to sign it. When we refused to sign the contract, the Just Energy representive became extremely pushy and rude- he said that he had wasted half an hour of his night trying to convince us. We showed him the door.


Later, I called Planet Energy to file a complaint against their representative, and to try to cancel the contract that I was misled into. The CSR filed my complaint against the agent. She said that action will be taken against the agent, but I could not cancel my contract since Planet Energy had called to reaffirm that I in fact want to register with them. I reminded her that I was fooled in to thinking it was a "mandatory government initiative", in which she replied that the reaffirmation caller told me that I'm not obligated to confirm. She said it was worded differently than "NOT a mandatory government initiative" but it meant the same thing.

She said she would forward my case on to her manager the next day. I have not heard back since. I have filed a complaint with the OEB as well, but the OEB CSR told me he was not sure whether anything would happen, since I did reaffirm with Planet Energy on the phone.

I doubt I will be able to get out of this contract that I was misled into. Unfortunately, my situation is not uncommon. I am a student, and one that does not have experience living on my own. Spread the word; warn others. Similar companies include Just Energy, Universal Energy, Summit Energy and others.

BUYER BEWARE.